Archive for the ‘visual studio’ Category
Those of us who use the ASP.NET WAT on a regular basis must have encountered this error at least once.
An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again.
After some research I found out that the tool doesn’t work if you have spaces in the path of your applications directory for e.g. D:\My Stuff\Projects\Project1. I know, it’s weird!
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of moving your project folders, worry not, NTFS Link comes to the rescue. Once you’ve downloaded and installed the tool, right click at a location of your choice and select New Junction Point.
You will then be prompted to select the target folder. In our case, this should point to D:\My Stuff\ since that is the folder that contains a space in its name.
Once the shortcut is created you can rename it to something without a space so our final path would be something like D:\ProjectsLink\Projects\Project1. The WAT tool should work now.
One fine day my Visual Studio 2010 couldn’t render Bangla fonts and all I saw were square boxes as you see below.
After banging my head for hours, I realized I had upgraded my Avro Keyboard after the last time I used VS2010 and during the installation I was prompted to change my default Bangla font from Vrinda to Siyam Rupali.
Little did I know that VS2010 only supports Vrinda to render Bangla in the text editor so I went ahead and changed my default font – bummer!! Luckily, I found a tool called Font Fixer which can restore your systems default Bangla font.
As you can see, my default font was set to Siyam Rupali. I clicked on Restore which then prompted me to install the Vrinda fonts manually (from my backup) and restart my computer. After booting up, I ran the tool again to confirm if the font was reset to Vrinda.
Now Bangla is being properly rendered in VS2010 and I’m one happy Bengali coder
I’m not sure if Microsoft is aware of this issue but they need to make Visual Studio compatible with any unicode Bangla font and not just Vrinda.
I was trying to play around with HTML5 assuming that VS 2010 had shipped with HTML5 support but to my dismay it was not the case. Bummer! So I did a bit of homework and came up with an easy workaround. If you try googling for html5 visual studio 2010, the first link that you will see is HTML 5 Intellisense for Visual Studio 2010 and 2008. But unfortunately, the patch provided over there doesn’t seem to work. (DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING!!)
So here’s how I got it to work.
- Download this archive and extract the contents to your desktop.
- Copy/Move html_5.xsd to D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Packages\schemas\html. The path may vary depending on where you installed VS 2010 or Visual Web Developer 2010.
- From the extracted contents, run the appropriate registry file. In my case, it was VS-2010-x64.reg
- Now fire up Visual Studio 2010 (or VWD) and navigate to Tools > Options > Text Editor HTML > Validation. On the right panel, select HTML 5 as the Target.
- Now restart VS 2010 and you should be able to code valid HTML5. Enjoy!